Monday, March 29, 2010

The Last Thing You Forget

You know what really grinds my gears? Pop-Punk. It's safe to say that I've been listening to pop-punk for about the past 11 years and for the most part, I know what good pop-punk sounds like, when it's bad and when it just fuckin sucks. A friend of mine gave me a cd today and while listening to it it made me think a little. The past few years I've started to see a trend, more so a "gimmick" in pop-punk. It seems like 50% of new pop-punk bands incorporate a keyboard in their music while 40% of them try to mix it up with melodic hardcore (sometimes referred to "happy hardcore/easycore/pop-core"), about 5% of the new bands will probably just play annoying "preeteen/teen-angst" pop-punk in vein of Blink-182 and NFG but just suck at it while the remaining 5% (yes I actually did the math) will actually play music that qualifies as pop-punk. The point I'm trying to make is that pop-punk doesn't sound the way it use to, and that happens with just about every genre of music. While not necessarly bad, do we really need to hear the same, often times annoying, keyboards or synthesizers or the whiny, high-pitched "left my girlfriend/you never cared for me" song? I have a feeling pop-punk will start to lose touch with people, the same way hip-hop has had. And it's always sad when one of your favorite genres turn to watered-down, sub-par music that appeals to the massives but sounds like shit. At least there's still a few that are going strong.

So there's my rant on pop-punk. Now let's go listen to some good pop-punk.

Listen to:


Title Fight-The Last Thing You Forget

No comments: